When you sell a used vehicle or when you buy a used vehicle, many people neglect the process of transfer of ownership of the vehicle. But this negligence could cause a number of problems in the future and hence it is always good to change the ownership when you sell or buy a vehicle. Ownership transfer ensures the successful possession of a vehicle by a buyer.
There are, basically, two steps involved in the complete change of ownership of a vehicle:
1. Change of ownership of the
2. Change of insurance
If you are doing this process for the first time, you need not have to worry at all. All you will need is a set of documents related to the seller, buyer and the vehicle.
Change of ownership of the vehicle:
You can change the ownership of a vehicle on your own by following the below steps:
There are two steps involved in the process:
- Online Application and payment
- Offline document verification and submission
Online Application :
- Go to Parivahan Sewa –> Online Services –> Vehicle Related Services
- Put your Vehicle Registration Number and proceed.
- Navigate to Misc Online services for Transfer of Ownership, changing address, duplicate RC etc.
- Fill the required details like last 5 digit of chassis number and generate OTP through your mobile number and show details
- Select the checkbox Transfer of Ownership –> Fill the required details of the new owner –> Payment
- It happens with many users that the transaction gets timed out or cancelled at first. After which it takes around 1 to 1.5 hours to cancel the transaction from the bank side and re-initiate the process.
- Take the printout of Receipt, Form 29(2 copies) and Form 30.
- If you wish to see the application status and reprint the receipt :
Navigate to “See your application status” –> Enter Vehicle registration number –>Status –> Reprint receipt/form or Check Pending Transaction –> select transaction type(application in our case) and details–> Click on transaction ID
2. Offline documents Required:
You will need the following documents:
- Form 29 (two copies) Download Form
- Form 30 Download Form
- Receipt of Online payment
- Original Registration Certificate + Photocopy
- Self Attested copy of valid vehicle insurance certificate
- Self Attested copy of address proof of the registered vehicle owner(transferrer)
- Self Attested copy of valid pollution certificate (PUC)
- Self Attested copy of two address proof of the new registered vehicle owner (transferee)
- Photo (New owner/transferee)
- Chassis Print on Form 29 & 30 (If Chassis print is not clear then Engine Print)
- Aadhar Card(Transferor & transferee )
You will have to submit all these documents to the RTO and pay the required fee for the change of ownership of the vehicle. The RTO where you would like to register the vehicle should also be informed about the change of ownership. This process has to be done within 14 days from the sale of the vehicle.
Change of insurance:
Once the change of ownership is completed, you need to inform the insurance company about the cancellation of the old policy and change of insurance. This process also should be completed within 14 days from the date of sale.