As we are technologically advancing and changing our lives for the better, all people these days own a vehicle. Be it an SUV, basic car or a motorbike, or even a cycle, but everyone nowadays owns a vehicle for their convenience. As the vehicles on roads are increasing day by day so is the traffic. With the traffic, people are becoming either mature or careless on roads. The careless ones are often seen doing, Red Light Jumping or are given challans for Stop Line. But what are these? And how are they implemented in different states? Let’s get to know about this with the help of this interesting article.
Why Red Light Jump Challan?
According to an estimate, around 1.5 lakh people in India died in a road accident in the year 2016-2017. And the main reason for the accidents was not following traffic rules, regulations, and signals. These signals are designed in a manner to help drivers stay in control of the vehicle and stay conscious on the road while driving. Some people overlook these signals and become the major cause of the accidents. That is why it is important to implement challan on Red Light Jump.
Also Read : List Of Documents Required To Sell Any Used Car
How much is the Challan for Red Light Jumping in India?
As per the Motor Vehicles Act, 2019, a vehicle driver if jumps the Red Light, receives a challan of Rs.1000 as a fine for causing trouble on the road and breaking the traffic rules. The payment can be made in both online and offline mode.
How can we pay challan for Red Light Jump online?
- Visit the State Transport Department website
- Click on the challan tab or traffic violation payment tab
- Enter the vehicle number.
- Enter the captcha.
- Get details of your challan.
- Make payment by filling all the card details.
- You will receive the receipt which you can print for future use.
Also Read : How to Find Vehicle Owner Details Online?
How to make offline payment of challan in case of Red Light Jumping and Stop Line challan?
- Visit the nearest traffic police station.
- Go to the challan payment department and ask for the details of the challan.
- Make the payment of the said amount.
- You will get a receipt for the same.
What is the Penalty for Jumping Red Light in Different States?
|Challan in States||Penalty|
|Red Light Jumping in Delhi||Rs.1000|
|Red Light Jumping in Uttar Pradesh||Rs.300-500|
|Red Light Jumping in Maharashtra||Rs.200|
|Red Light Jumping in Haryana||Rs.5000|
|Red Light Jumping in Punjab||Rs.500-1000|
|Red Light Jumping in West Bengal||Rs.100|
|Red Light Jumping in Telangana||Rs.500|
|Red Light Jumping in Karnataka||Rs.500|
|Red Light Jumping in Andhra Pradesh||Rs. 1000|
What is the Penalty of crossing a Stop Line (Zebra Cross)?
The Penalty or challan on crossing a Stop Line or Zebra Cross is Rs.100, according to the Motor Vehicle Act. It can differ from states to states but majority of the states charge Rs.100 as fine for the not stopping at the Zebra Cross.
How can we avoid jumping a Red Light or crossing a Stop Line and save ourselves from challans and fines?
Following things can be kept in mind while driving:
- Do not over speed while driving at an intersection.
- Never overtake other vehicles near a signal.
- If there is a need to make a U-turn, look for other vehicles coming from the opposite direction.
- Slow down before the intersection or traffic signal arrives.
- Service your vehicle at regular intervals so that the vehicle is in your complete control all the time.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Yes, as per Motor Vehicle Act, breaking traffic signal or jumping Red Light or crossing Stop Line is an offence and is illegal.
If you over speed on the signal while the Red Light is on, at the signal, it is considered as breaking the Red Light.
The fine for crossing the Stop Line in Haryana in Rs.100
The fine in Delhi for jumping the Red Light is Rs.1000.
No, the fine for challan on Red Light Jumping varies in every state of India.